Notice of Dispute

March 10, 2017

We’re committed to resolving disputes fairly and efficiently. If you are unsatisfied with the resolution a customer service representative offers for your issue, and you live in the United States, you may notify us of your dispute by submitting this form.

If the dispute is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may begin arbitration after 60 days by submitting a Demand for Arbitration to the American Arbitration Association.